Need Help?
Updated on 04 Aug 2021

Considering that entry regulations can change at short notice,  we recommend that you start by checking IATA's website*) but also seek information on each countries' government websites.

(*) the map is interactive. Click on each country for information about entry regulations.

There is a travel ban on non-essential travel to Sweden from countries outside the EU. This ban is valid until August 31.

The entry ban does not apply to citizens and their families from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland. Moreover, the ban does not apply to permanent residents or holders of a residence permit in Sweden or another EU country, or if those who have a national visa in Sweden. More informations about the entry ban can be found HERE.

More information can be found in frequently asked questions answered by the Swedish Police Authority and in the Embassy of Sweden website.


Foreign nationals entering Sweden from outside the Nordic region must have tested negative for COVID-19, be vaccinated against the disease, or have recovered from COVID-19. The requirements depend on the country from which the foreign national is travelling.

Certificates for entry from EEA countries outside the Nordic region and entry from exempted countries
Foreign nationals who are subject to one of the exemptions included in Sweden’s entry ban and wish to enter Sweden from EEA countries outside the Nordic region or from Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland or Vatican City must present one of the following:
  • Certificate of vaccination against COVID-19.
  • Certificate of a negative test result from a test for the presence of an ongoing COVID-19 infection (test certificate).
  • Certificate of recovery from COVID-19.
Validity of the Certificate and Accepted Vaccines, read HERE

Certificates for entry from outside the EEA and outside exempt countries

Foreign nationals entering Sweden from outside the EEA and outside exempt countries must be able to present a certificate at the border showing that the traveller has tested negative for COVID-19. A maximum of 48 hours may have passed between the time of testing and the border crossing.

The following types of tests for COVID-19 are approved: Antigen test, PCR test, LAMP test and TMA test. Antigen testing is available in the form of rapid tests for ongoing COVID-19 infection and is usually the test referred to as a “rapid test”.

The following information must appear on the certificate in order for it to be valid:

  • The name and date of birth of the person who has been tested
  • Date and time when the test was taken
  • Disease or infectious agent, COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants)
  • The type of test that has been performed. It must be an antigen test, PCR test, LAMP test or TMA test
  • The negative test result
  • The name, telephone number and address of the issuer of the certificate or of the laboratory which has carried out the test.
The information must be clearly stated in Swedish, English, Norwegian, Danish or French.


Recommendation to get tested and self-isolate after arriving in Sweden. Applies only after entry from certain countries, so-called third countries

there are also recommendations to those who, seven days before arriving in Sweden, have visited or entered from a so-called third country outside the EU that is not on the EU list of exempted third countries. That is, from a country that is not a member of the EU or EEA and where the spread of infection is currently relatively high. In these cases, you should:

  • get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible after arriving in Sweden, preferably on the same day. Find out how to get tested by visiting
  • get another test five days after your arrival in Sweden. Find out how to get tested by visiting
  • Self-isolate and avoid close contact with other people for at least seven days after arriving in Sweden. You must do this even if your COVID-19 test is negative. If you test positive for COVID-19, you will receive special instructions on what to do from the healthcare services.
More info about Quarantine and Exemptions, read HERE


Recommendations for those travelling to Sweden

Public Health Agency of Sweden

Information from the Swedish Government about the travel advisory

Frequently asked questions - Entry Sweden

Couldn't find what you were looking for?
Try other support topics
Couldn't find an answer to your question?Send your question / request to TAP's helpdesk